Thursday, March 29, 2012

Movie Critic while on Pain Meds

After having knee surgery this past week, I had quite a bit of time on my hands lying around. What else was I to do besides watch some movies and write about them? I’ve never been the kind of movie guy to watch movies repeatedly. The only exceptions are classic sports films and comedies. So I threw a couple of them in the mix as well.



French Comedy subtitles (saw on pain meds and a sick stomach)


  • I wish I could remember the name of this movie. I remember certain scenes being quite funny, but my stomach hurt so bad that I didn’t laugh out loud once. I can remember this:

  • It didn’t have one word in English

  • It was a crook film like Snatch, or Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

  • There was this girl in there that could bend in crazy positions. Like she would hide in a fridge and come out with her feet first and unfold while doing a flip and never touch the ground with her hands. It was insane but not fake. She could really bend like this.

  • I’d like to see this movie again when not on pain meds. Can’t remember too much more.

  • Overall rating: 3.5 stars

  • House of Sand and Fog


  • Started watching this movie randomly and knew nothing about it. Shanna comes in 5 minutes in and says, “Oh this movie is sad.” Despite her warning I stubbornly keep watching. Sir Ben Kingsley is in this flick. He has a stellar performance as a Middle Eastern man trying to make an honest living in the US to support his wife and boy without having to work 80 hours a week. It really starts off as a great story of this country and how anyone can create a living for them with hard work. However, it turns into a train wreck that you can’t turn away from. It was horribly sad and I wish I didn’t watch it, but I’m glad I did. Makes sense? Doesn’t make sense to me either.

  • Overall Rating: 4 stars

  • Flight of the Phoenix


  • Watched the original with James Stewart. I remember seeing a trailer awhile back with Jude Law or Dennis Quaid or someone like that more recently but was pleasantly surprised by this version. This movie was made in 1965 and was done very well for its time. I think this might have been the best James Stewart flick I’ve ever seen. The props and makeup were a bit absurd but the acting was good and the story was good. Never seeing the newer version I can’t compare to that, but it was good and a heart warming story of perseverance. James Stewart played a stubborn know-it-all that liked to be in charge. However, the nerdy airplane designer knew more and it irritated him. Even in 1965 there was a reference to technology and computers and how nerds and geeks are going to take over the world one day. If I only would have watched and listened to this movie in the 80’s or 90’s I would have invested in Apple or Microsoft.

  • Overall Rating: 5 stars

  • Flippers (saw last 10 minutes)


  • Looked like a funny movie, but didn’t see much. Put it on the DVR and will watch it some other day. A kid movie about first loves and romance.

  • Overall Rating: NA until seen again.

  • Keeping up with the Steins


  • My funny bone came back for this one. It had Jeremy Piven in it, and that’s usually all it takes for me to laugh. But the kid was also funny and all the support cast was great. Totally recommend. Also cried in the scene with Jeremy Piven speaks to his son on his barmitzfa day about how proud he is to be his dad. Loved it.

  • Overall Rating: 5 stars

  • Bigger than the sky


  • Starred Aiden from Sex and the City (guy from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, can’t remember his name). Started off real slow. Never really picked up steam, but it was like the tortoise. Slow and steady win the race. It was decent overall. Good story, and a good ending. It also had the guy from Fire in the Sky.

  • Overall Rating: 2.5 stars

  • Bull Durham


  • At this time in the day, I was about ready to start a new movie again, but a classic was about to start, so I decided to settle in and watch one of the best baseball movies of all time.

  • Favorite quote: “It’s a simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains.”

  • Something that really irritated me watching this movie as a 31 year old, married man for 6 years, with two kids, recovering from a severe knee injury…Why when Crash and Annie have sex it’s always in the most uncomfortable places and they break things. He just throws his bowl in the sink, knocks over the milk and all the cereal on the table and goes at it. All I kept thinking to myself was “damn, who’s going to clean that up?” Next they are in bath tub barley big enough for one.

  • Overall Rating: 5 stars

  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas


  • Johnny Depp is the best actor ever. He really is. I haven’t seen this movie in years, but I crack up at how Depp’s character narrates the whole thing and his internal monologue becomes external at times when he doesn’t realize it. He talks so easy about using heavy heavy drugs. Like it is no big deal. If you ever want to scare your kids to make sure they don’t use drugs, this would be the movie to do it in a comical way. There are other sad drug movies that would do the trick as well, but man this movie is hilarious.

  • Overall rating: 5 stars

  • I watched some other movies too but have not reviewed them due to lack of meat to discuss. 1 star movies:
    The Brothers McMullen, and Jet Lag

    3 comments:

    Rimas Kurtinaitis said...

    What's up with your knee? Hope nothing too serious.

    re:Bull Durham sex, man, that's like every Wednesday in our household.

    re:Fear and Loathing, best "scare 'em straight" movie for me is the Basketball Diaries with DiCaprio.

    That's a lot of movies to watch in one day. I'd probably just pound pain meds until I fell asleep.

    KB said...

    I tore my ACL, so they had to replace it with part of my Patella Tendon.

    I forgot about Basketball Diaries. Yea, that'll scare the bejezzus out of you for sure. Thinking more Fear and Loathing might make teenagers try drugs more than prevent them. I mean, Depp does get away from Vegas without any harm.

    Rimas, Do I know you? Real Name?

    Ojo Rojo said...

    "Who's going to clean that up?" Yes. Hollywood is so unrealistic.

    Fear and Loathing would not be my choice for scare 'em straight. No consequences. I'd do Traffic (that scene with Michael Douglas' daughter getting balled by the drug dealer makes me shudder every time) or Trainspotting (dead baby sequence).